Hat Yai – Padang Besar Shuttle Train: The Journey

This post is about the travel experience onboard the Hat Yai – Padang Besar Shuttle Train.

This is NOT the actual information page you are looking for.

Click here to visit the new dedicated Hat Yai – Padang Besar Shuttle Train information page.

The shuttle train between Padang Besar (Malaysia) and Hat Yai (Thailand) commenced on 22 December 2015. It operates a return leg from Hat Yai twice daily, which connects to ETS and Komuter services from Padang Besar, in addition to the existing International Express service.

The shuttle train, operated by the State Railway of Thailand (SRT), uses a 2-car Daewoo DMU for this service.

Destination signs are placed on the side of the train, so look out for it if you are unsure which train to board.

Tickets cost 80 baht for this shuttle train.

The interior of the shuttle train. The Daewoo Diesel Railcars (DRC) come with 2+2 seating configuration with seats able to rotate to face the direction of travel, or to form a bay of 4 seats if travelling in a group.

The amount of space you get assuming the seats are in the forward position.

The shuttle train makes a stop at Khlong Ngae and Padang Besar (Thai) stations, before terminating at Padang Besar.

The shuttle train arrives at Padang Besar in Malaysia 16 minutes before schedule. It will shunt over to Platform 1 for its return trip back to Hat Yai, after the arrival of an ETS service.

This is NOT the actual information page you are looking for.

Advertisements

45 thoughts on “Hat Yai – Padang Besar Shuttle Train: The Journey

1. Victor says:

May I know where can I buy this ticket online? I will be travelling to Penang and wish to make a trip to Hat Yai as well using this new train service. But I do not wish to buy over the counter in the event where the ticket sold out.

2. Isaac says:

Hi,

May I check with you how long does it takes for us to walk over from Padang Besar (Malaysia) to Padang Besar (Thailand)?
    Or, is it just transit at the same station?

3. Ann says:

Hi, how about the Immigration office to stamp the passport? Do we need to go to the Immigration office to stamp passport then back to the train station? or it could be done in the train station itself?

4. Emily says:

Hi I will be arriving at the padang besar train station from butterworth with the ETS Gold 9208 train (scheduled to reach padang besar at 3.15 pm). I was wondering if there will be enough time to purchase and catch the 3.40 pm shuttle train to hatyai?

and if so, after disembarking from ETS 9208, do i need to clear immigration and walk over to the thai side of padang besar then buy the 3.40 pm shuttle train to hatyai? or do I buy the ticket to hatyai from the malaysian side then clear immigration and walk to the other side?

5. BOEY says:

Hi, I’m taking the ETS from Butterworth to Padang Besar, Malaysia then to Hatyai.
    1) Is the station for the SRT shuttle train to Hatyai located in the same vicinity as the Padang Besar Malaysia station?
    2) If yes, roughly how far the distance?
    Thanks

6. Jess Wan says:

Hi, me and my family planned to take the commuter from Penang to Padang Besar, then taking the connected shuttle train to Hatyai. According to the commuter schedule its around lunch hour. Therefore, I am wondering whether is the 84min transit time enough for us to have quick lunch at Padang Besar plus custom clearance and then continue our journey to Hatyai? Or is it better that we take an earlier commuter? Any food court near Padang Besar train station? Thank you very much.

• RailTravel Station says:

It’s enough. You need to purchase your shuttle ticket at the SRT office at the platform as well. You can pack your food from the upstairs food court within the station to eat in the shuttle if it makes you feel more at ease.

• Jess Wan says:

Thanks for your reply. May I know, do I have to get through both customs in order to purchase the SRT shuttle ticket? Or I could buy the ticket first, then get through the customs? Kind of confused since it’s in the same station 😂. Thank you.

7. iyan says:

Hi, i planned to take a combined train from Hat Yai to Padang Besar to KL.
    Can i take shuttle train from Hat Yai to Padang Besar at 07.30 (arrived at padang besar at 08.25), and then take the ETS 9401 (depart at 09.13). So i assume that i will have 45 minutes (08.25 to 09.13) for immigration process. Is it right?

8. Raj A says:

Hi, we are planning to go to Hat yai with a small group of family (me, wife and 1 year old baby). we already booked the ETS from KL Sentral to Padang Besar for April 11, 2017, departure 09.40 from KL Sentral and will arrive 15.10 in Padang Besar. As I browsed the schedule for the shuttle train from padang besar to hat yai will be on 15.40 (is it?), So, will we have enough time to catch the shuttle train after we finished the cleareance immigration procedures both sides (malay n thai imimigrations)?

9. Emily says:

Hi, i would like to know how long (minutes) will it take if to walk from Padang Besar Train station (Malaysia) to reach to Padang Besar Hatyai immigration. I’m planning to take Taxi after clear the immigration because KL to Hatyai train ETA too early in 5am & shuttle train start at 9am. Pls advise where or easy way to find taxi from border to Hatyai, and the estimate cost per taxi for 3adult.

Thanks

10. Annie says:

Hi, if I take EG9520 (23:07pm) from BTS KL to Padang Besar on 26.05.2017, I will arrive Padang Besar at 5:00am.
    Any suggestion how should I spend the waiting time before I board on the train from Pdg Besar(Thai) at 10:02am (09:02am Thai. time) to Hatyai?

Thansk.

11. WS says:

hi, I plan to take train from Bukit Mertajam to Padang Besar, and Padang Besar to Hatyai. May I know where can I buy ticket online?