The Sabah State Railway Department or Jabatan Keretapi Negeri Sabah (JKNS), formerly known as North Borneo Railway, is the only railway in East Malaysia, and runs from the capital of Kota Kinabalu to Beaufort and Tenom. Though it is a single, through line, trains operate along the line in three sections, namely Sembulan – Beaufort, Beaufort – Halogilat and Halogilat – Tenom. Through ticketing is adopted throughout the network regardless of train changes and connecting times.
Please note that due to a severe lack of information regarding the Sabah State Railway, both online and offline, do take the information here with a pinch of salt as things may change suddenly with almost no prior notice, especially with regards to train cancellations and whether the train actually originates from and/or terminates at Sembulan station. I have, however, already done my best to compile and source for the most current and accurate information.
Timetable from Sabah State Railway (JKNS)’s website
Fares from Sabah State Railway (JKNS)’s website
- Sabah State Railway (Tanjung Aru – Beaufort – Sembulan)
- Sabah State Railway Department (JKNS): New Tanjung Aru Railway Station
- Sabah State Railway Department (JKNS): Tanjung Aru Rolling Stock Update 2018
- Sabah State Railway Department (JKNS): Sembulan Railway Station (Sekretariat Railway Station)
- Sabah State Railway (JKNS) 101/105: Tanjung Aru to Beaufort by Train
- Sabah State Railway (JKNS) 502/506: Beaufort to Tanjung Aru by Train
- Sabah State Railway (JKNS) ticket counters only
How do I book tickets online?
You cannot book Sabah State Railway (JKNS) tickets online.
To contact the Sabah State Railway (JKNS):