KTM Berhad, or KTMB for short, is the main railway operator in Peninsular Malaysia. Previously known as the Federated Malay States Railways (FMSR) and the Malayan Railway Administration (MRA), the name change to Keretapi Tanah Melayu (KTM) was formerly inaugurated in 1962. Privatization of KTM was done in 1992, to form KTM Berhad, while remaining wholly-owned by the Malaysian Government.
KTM Berhad provides regional, inter-city and commuter rail services across the network.
Passenger services currently offered by KTM Berhad include:
- Ekspres Rakyat Timuran (JB Sentral – Gemas – Tumpat)
- Ekspres Selatan (JB Sentral – Gemas – Pulau Sebang (Tampin))
- Shuttle Timur (Tumpat – Dabong – Gua Musang – Kuala Lipis)
- Shuttle Tebrau (JB Sentral, Malaysia – Woodlands CIQ, Singapore)
The line between Gemas and Padang Besar is electrified and double tracked, served by KTM Komuter and ETS services. For non-electrified single track sectors, KTM Intercity covers the rest of the network.
KTM Berhad Route Map
Peta Laluan KTM Berhad
The route map in the KTM Intercity network on RailTravel Station no longer features Woodlands CIQ due to:
- KTM Berhad’s initial cessation of online ticket bookings for the Shuttle Tebrau, making it impossible to secure a connection from the Shuttle Tebrau to and from other KTM Intercity trains at JB Sentral.
- KTM Berhad’s positioning of the train to the public as not part of the KTM Intercity network with different terms and conditions for tickets and future separate ticketing system. (FAQ #8: Pembatalan tiket dibenarkan sebelum tren dijadualkan berlepas dengan pemulangan tambang 50%; FAQ #11: Setiap pelanggan hanya dibenarkan membeli maksimum 4 keping tiket tren Shuttle Tebrau yang sama pada satu-satu masa.)
- KTM Berhad’s own confusion with its initial stopping sales through online channels and the KTMB-MobTicket App from 1 December 2016, but in the future plans for ticket sales, to have tickets sold through online channels and the KTMB-MobTicket App, so I am also not sure how to describe it on this website. (FAQ #12: KTMB dalam proses menyediakan perkhidmatan jualan tiket menggunakan kiosk tiket di JB Sentral dan Woodlands dan jualan secara online melalui mobile apps.)
- The soon-to-be-operational separate ticketing system and closed-system ticket checking process for the Shuttle Tebrau.
- The potential closure of Woodlands CIQ on 1 July 2018 as part of the Malaysia–Singapore Points of Agreement Supplement signed on 24 May 2010 (remember Tanjong Pagar Railway Station and Bukit Timah Railway Station?).
Click here for the Shuttle Tebrau FAQs from KTM’s website.
KTM Berhad Seating Plans
Pelan Tempat Duduk KTM Berhad
Due to low to zero popularity, and even complains at times, seating plans are no longer available. Please contact KTM Berhad for any seat enquiries.
Singapore to Bangkok by Train
Singapura ke Bangkok dengan Keretapi
Timetables from KTM’s website effective 3 June 2018
Jadual waktu dari laman web KTM berkuatkuasa 3 Jun 2018
- Gemas – KL Sentral – Ipoh – Butterworth – Padang Besar (Northbound)
- Padang Besar – Butterworth – Ipoh – KL Sentral – Gemas (Southbound)
- JB Sentral – Gemas – Tumpat
- JB Sentral – Gemas – Pulau Sebang (Tampin)
- JB Sentral – Woodlands CIQ
Links attached are no longer hosted on Google Drive as RailTravel Station is too often confused with the timetable provider instead of KTM. Should the links be down, it is on KTM’s servers and not on mine.
Link yang dilampirkan tiada lagi di dapati di Google Drive, di atas sebab RailTravel Station terlalu kerap memuatnaik jadual perjalanan keretapi berbanding KTM. Sekiranya link tiada lagi berfungsi, ia kemungkinan berpunca dari khidmat jaringan KTM dan bukan berpunca dari website RailTravel Station.
KTM Train Ticket Booking Methods
Kaedah Tempahan Tiket Keretapi KTM
- KTM Intercity counters
- Online from 12Go Asia (joint ticketing with connecting trains available)
- Online from BusOnlineTicket
- Online from Easybook
Online from the KTM E-Ticket System (additional RM2 surcharge)UNSTABLE: Proceed at your own risk.
Tickets are open for sale 30 days before departure.
Tiket dibuka untuk dijual 30 hari sebelum berlepas.
- Klook (Get FREE $4.30*/RM13.00* voucher for your first purchase when you sign up here! *subject to exchange rate)
How do I book tickets online?
Bagaimanakah saya menempah tiket dalam talian?
- Click here for a step-by-step guide for 12Go Asia.
- Click here for a step-by-step guide for Easybook.
Click here for a step-by-step guide to the KTM E-Ticket System.UNSTABLE: Proceed at your own risk.
Links to the KTM E-Ticket System are strikethroughed due to KTM’s own admission of the instability of their system here after Prime Minister Najib Razak personally posted on Facebook that there is such an issue here. Proceed using the KTM E-Ticket System at your own risk.
To contact KTM Berhad:
Phone: +60 3 2267 1200