Not to be confused with just offering inter-city services, KTM Intercity is a branding for locomotive-hauled services throughout Peninsular Malaysia providing inter-city and regional rail services. Trains run between JB Sentral and Gemas or Pulau Sebang (Tampin), and also on the East Coast Line between Gemas and Tumpat, offering convenient access to Gua Musang, Kuala Krai and Kota Bharu (Wakaf Bharu). Crossing international borders, trains also run to Woodlands CIQ, Singapore.
Trains run on the non-electrified single track lines of Peninsular Malaysia, with the exception of some trains to Pulau Sebang (Tampin) from Gemas junction.
- Ekspres Rakyat Timuran (JB Sentral – Gemas – Tumpat)
- Shuttle (JB Sentral – Gemas)
- Shuttle Timur (Tumpat – Dabong – Gua Musang – Kuala Lipis)
- Shuttle Tebrau (JB Sentral, Malaysia – Woodlands CIQ, Singapore)
The route map in the KTM Intercity network on RailTravel Station no longer features Woodlands CIQ due to:
- KTM Berhad’s initial cessation of online ticket bookings for the Shuttle Tebrau, making it impossible to secure a connection from the Shuttle Tebrau to and from other KTM Intercity trains at JB Sentral.
- KTM Berhad’s positioning of the train to the public as not part of the KTM Intercity network with different terms and conditions for tickets and future separate ticketing system. (FAQ #8: Pembatalan tiket dibenarkan sebelum tren dijadualkan berlepas dengan pemulangan tambang 50%; FAQ #11: Setiap pelanggan hanya dibenarkan membeli maksimum 4 keping tiket tren Shuttle Tebrau yang sama pada satu-satu masa.)
- KTM Berhad’s own confusion with its initial stopping sales through online channels and the KTMB-MobTicket App from 1 December 2016, but in the future plans for ticket sales, to have tickets sold through online channels and the KTMB-MobTicket App, so I am also not sure how to describe it on this website. (FAQ #12: KTMB dalam proses menyediakan perkhidmatan jualan tiket menggunakan kiosk tiket di JB Sentral dan Woodlands dan jualan secara online melalui mobile apps.)
- The soon-to-be-operational separate ticketing system and closed-system ticket checking process for the Shuttle Tebrau.
- The potential closure of Woodlands CIQ on 1 July 2018 as part of the Malaysia–Singapore Points of Agreement Supplement signed on 24 May 2010 (remember Tanjong Pagar Railway Station and Bukit Timah Railway Station?).
Click here for the Shuttle Tebrau FAQs from KTM’s website.
Timetable from KTM’s website effective 1 February 2017
- KTM Intercity: Shuttle Tebrau
- KTM Intercity: JB Sentral – Gemas – Tumpat
- ETS: Gemas – KL Sentral – Butterworth
- ETS: Gemas – KL Sentral – Padang Besar
- ETS: KL Sentral – Ipoh
KTM Train Ticket Booking Methods
- KTM Intercity counters
- Online from 12Go Asia (joint ticketing with connecting trains available)
- Online from BusOnlineTicket
- Online from Easybook
- Online from the KTM E-Ticket System (additional RM2 surcharge)
Tickets are open for sale 180 days before departure except for the Shuttle Tebrau which opens 30 days before departure.
How do I book tickets online?