Not to be confused with just offering inter-city services, KTM Intercity is a branding for locomotive-hauled services throughout Peninsular Malaysia providing inter-city and regional rail services. Trains run between JB Sentral and Gemas or Pulau Sebang (Tampin), and also on the East Coast Line between Gemas and Tumpat, offering convenient access to Gua Musang, Kuala Krai and Kota Bharu (Wakaf Bharu). Crossing international borders, trains also run to Woodlands CIQ, Singapore.
Trains run on the non-electrified single track lines of Peninsular Malaysia, with the exception of some trains to Pulau Sebang (Tampin) from Gemas junction.
- Ekspres Rakyat Timuran (JB Sentral – Gemas – Tumpat)
- Shuttle (JB Sentral – Gemas – Pulau Sebang (Tampin))
- Shuttle Timur (Tumpat – Dabong – Gua Musang – Kuala Lipis)
If you are commuting between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, you should seriously consider taking the bus instead, unless you wish to experience the train journey as the destination itself.
The route map in the KTM Intercity network on RailTravel Station no longer features Woodlands CIQ due to:
- KTM Berhad’s initial cessation of online ticket bookings for the Shuttle Tebrau, making it impossible to secure a connection from the Shuttle Tebrau to and from other KTM Intercity trains at JB Sentral.
- KTM Berhad’s positioning of the train to the public as not part of the KTM Intercity network with different terms and conditions for tickets and future separate ticketing system. (FAQ #8: Pembatalan tiket dibenarkan sebelum tren dijadualkan berlepas dengan pemulangan tambang 50%; FAQ #11: Setiap pelanggan hanya dibenarkan membeli maksimum 4 keping tiket tren Shuttle Tebrau yang sama pada satu-satu masa.)
- KTM Berhad’s own confusion with its initial stopping sales through online channels and the KTMB-MobTicket App from 1 December 2016, but in the future plans for ticket sales, to have tickets sold through online channels and the KTMB-MobTicket App, so I am also not sure how to describe it on this website. (FAQ #12: KTMB dalam proses menyediakan perkhidmatan jualan tiket menggunakan kiosk tiket di JB Sentral dan Woodlands dan jualan secara online melalui mobile apps.)
- The soon-to-be-operational separate ticketing system and closed-system ticket checking process for the Shuttle Tebrau.
- The potential closure of Woodlands CIQ on 1 July 2018 as part of the Malaysia–Singapore Points of Agreement Supplement signed on 24 May 2010 (remember Tanjong Pagar Railway Station and Bukit Timah Railway Station?).
- The stance of the Chairman of KTM Berhad as describing the “3” long-distance train services as ETS, KTM Intercity and Shuttle Tebrau here.
Click here for the Shuttle Tebrau FAQs from KTM’s website.
KTM Intercity Seating Plans
Due to low to zero popularity, and even complains at times, seating plans are no longer available. Please contact KTM Berhad for any seat enquiries.
Singapore to Bangkok by Train
Timetables from KTM’s website effective 16 November 2018
Jadual waktu dari laman web KTM berkuatkuasa 16 November 2018
- Gemas – KL Sentral – Ipoh – Butterworth – Padang Besar (Northbound)
- Padang Besar – Butterworth – Ipoh – KL Sentral – Gemas (Southbound)
- JB Sentral – Gemas – Kuala Lipis – Tumpat
- JB Sentral – Gemas – Pulau Sebang (Tampin)
- JB Sentral – Woodlands CIQ
Links attached are no longer hosted on Google Drive as RailTravel Station is too often confused with the timetable provider instead of KTM. Should the links be down, it is on KTM’s servers and not on mine.
Link yang dilampirkan tiada lagi di dapati di Google Drive, di atas sebab RailTravel Station terlalu kerap memuatnaik jadual perjalanan keretapi berbanding KTM. Sekiranya link tiada lagi berfungsi, ia kemungkinan berpunca dari khidmat jaringan KTM dan bukan berpunca dari website RailTravel Station.
KTM Train Ticket Booking Methods
Kaedah Tempahan Tiket Keretapi KTM
- KTM Intercity counters
- Online from 12Go Asia (joint ticketing with connecting trains available)
- Online from Baolau
- Online from BusOnlineTicket
- Online from Easybook
Online from the KTM E-Ticket System (additional RM2 surcharge)UNSTABLE: Proceed at your own risk.
Tickets are open for sale in set periods about 60 days before departure except for the Shuttle Tebrau which opens 30 days before departure.
- Klook (Get FREE $4.30/RM12.90 voucher for your first purchase when you sign up here! *subject to exchange rate)
How do I book tickets online?
Bagaimanakah saya menempah tiket dalam talian?
- Click here for a step-by-step guide for 12Go Asia.
- Click here for a step-by-step guide for Easybook.
Click here for a step-by-step guide to the KTM E-Ticket System.UNSTABLE: Proceed at your own risk.
Links to the KTM E-Ticket System are strikethroughed due to KTM’s own admission of the instability of their system here after former Prime Minister Najib Razak personally posted on Facebook that there is such an issue here. Proceed using the KTM E-Ticket System at your own risk.
To contact KTM Berhad:
Phone: +60 3 2267 1200
Now that KTM has rationalised train services for KTM Intercity services to ply on the unelectrified single-track sectors and ETS services to ply on the electrified double-track sectors, and re-timetabled the trains effective 1 February 2017, how do I travel between Singapore and Butterworth now?
From Woodlands CIQ to Butterworth: Take the Shuttle Tebrau to JB Sentral, then change to the Shuttle (JB Sentral – Gemas) to Gemas, then change to the ETS Gold to Parit Buntar, then change to the KTM Komuter Northern Sector Bukit Mertajam – Padang Rengas Line to Bukit Mertajam, and then change to the KTM Komuter Northern Sector Butterworth – Padang Besar Line to Butterworth.
– 5 trains, 4 transfers
From Butterworth to Woodlands (9113dn): Take the ETS Gold to Gemas, then change to the Shuttle (JB Sentral – Gemas) to JB Sentral, and then change to the Shuttle Tebrau to Woodlands CIQ.
– 3 trains, 2 transfers
From Butterworth to Woodlands (9501dn): Take the KTM Komuter Northern Sector Butterworth – Padang Besar Line to Bukit Mertajam, then change to the KTM Komuter Northern Sector Bukit Mertajam – Padang Rengas Line to Parit Buntar, then change to the ETS Platinum to Gemas, then change to the Shuttle (JB Sentral – Gemas) to JB Sentral, and then change to the Shuttle Tebrau to Woodlands CIQ.
– 5 trains, 4 transfers
From Butterworth to Woodlands (9525dn): Take the KTM Komuter Northern Sector Butterworth – Padang Besar Line to Bukit Mertajam, then change to the KTM Komuter Northern Sector Bukit Mertajam – Padang Rengas Line to Parit Buntar, then change to the ETS Gold to Gemas, then change to the Shuttle (JB Sentral – Gemas) to JB Sentral, and then change to the Shuttle Tebrau to Woodlands CIQ.
– 5 trains, 4 transfers