ETS services are the latest trains on KTM’s network, running at a maximum speed of 160km/h (140km/h operational speed) on electrified double track sectors between Gemas and Padang Besar. Though often seen as a separate service, ETS operates under KTM Intercity, and tickets can be bought from any KTM Intercity counters throughout the network.
Train services are classified as follows:
The ETS classes are classified by speed and number of stops rather than seating classes. All trains have similar seats and services on board including TV, power sockets, washrooms and a bistro area for food and beverages.
A ride between Sentral Kuala Lumpur and Butterworth on the fastest ETS Platinum service can take just 3 hours and 35 minutes, and between Sentral Kuala Lumpur and Padang Besar, just 4 hours and 55 minutes.
Timetable from KTM’s website effective 1 February 2017
- KTM Intercity: Shuttle Tebrau
- KTM Intercity: JB Sentral – Gemas – Tumpat
- ETS: Gemas – KL Sentral – Butterworth
- ETS: Gemas – KL Sentral – Padang Besar
- ETS: KL Sentral – Ipoh
- KTM Intercity counters
- Online from 12Go Asia (joint ticketing with connecting trains available)
- Online from BusOnlineTicket
- Online from Easybook
- Online from the KTM E-Ticket System (additional RM2 surcharge)
Tickets are open for sale 180 days before departure except for the Shuttle Tebrau which opens 30 days before departure.
How do I book tickets online?